Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Bowflex Series 7 Treadmill This instant


No one has properly explained the display and it took me hours and hours of trying to decided based on negative or lack of information, but I finally bought it anyways and here is my findings after having it for one month and using it regularly:

As many of the other reviews have said, this is a solid, well built treadmill. I find it quiet. Heavy! But I have no problem moving it within the area it is in, but I am a big guy. I would buy it again and again. I really like being able to watch my TV while working out.

1) Reviews: You will find this highly reviewed by those that reviewed it here, on Consumer Reports (highest rated for a folding treadmill), and other consumer sites or equipment sellers agree.

2) Fan - FUNNY to me, but some folks seem really ripped up over the weak fan. Well, it does work and on high it is nice to have but still weak. BUT non of the gym machines have a fan and it does help some, so I see it as a plus and at worse just not that useful. I setup my own fans - seems a simple solution to me.

3) Display - the two "bubble" displays are for only the incline and speed (For the modes I have tried which is manual, hill, speed, calorie countdown-I assume for all modes this is the case), which means you have access to these two items at all times. The display below is multi-use. Other reviewers complain that words are scrolled by 2 letters at a time for "action" messages and I agree this sucks(action messages are like: CO OL DO WN). BUT - those items will not matter as you use it since you brain will learn to read and remember what is what(at least my brain has no problems after a month). Also, the 2 letter scroll is mostly used at the beginning when you select the mode (manual, hill, custom, etc) and at the end when you get a summary (which by the time you get off it, I bet you are like me, you are counting the calories and time, so you already know those items). In this area (The multi-use) also you get your calories, time elapses or count down to zero, etc. You have to cycle through it, which is the same as the gym I go to. Anyways, it would have been better if they just displayed all the time, but they don't. But it isn't a major issue, just select the toggle button to cycle through to it.

4) Buttons - I copied this from another review and comment afterwards: "Several of the buttons on the display have "modes", and it is not always clear which mode you are in. For example, the "Enter" key doubles as the "Cool Down" key. When you enter your speed, it is not clear if you are to key in your speed and press the "Enter" key, or key it in and wait for the treadmill to speed up. If you are unsure of which mode you are in and you press the "Enter" key at the wrong time, you've just ruined your workout, and need to shut the machine off and reprogram it to continue your workout."

My response: This is true - this was a bad design, BUT there is an very easy work around I found as I had the same problem. You just need to use the up or down arrows under the SPEED section - problem solved!!! Now - I am a walker, I could see if you where on 7 and need to get to 2 fast, that this could be a factor, but the arrows speed down or up the treadmill fast. Also note this is only a problem as the "enter" key double for the "Cool Down" key, but for incline you can select the incline and hit it's enter key and not worry. Also, you can use the up and down arrows under the incline (Left side) label as well. Both Speed (On the Right side) and Incline (Left Side) on different sides of the console.

If you program it wrong for a work out, say 20 minutes instead of 40 minutes, you have to stop and reset the machine. The gym machines let you add time as you work out and this one does not. I just set it for 90 minutes and let it count backward, if I am done in an hour, so what that it has 30 minutes left. For me, this was not a big issue.

5) Instruction Manual - Not clear and screws not always label correctly. But if you take your time and count the screws and figure where each goes, you should be fine. BUT they should correct this. Also, no instructions on how to lubricate the deck when you need too and no pictures on where to adjust the belt (hint: at the back end of the deck are two holes with screws that you turn with the allen wrench - manual says something like on a hub which made me think it was on the front of the deck as there are two caps covers over the front of the deck - These do not get removed!!). It took me 2 hours to put together - but I stopped 10 times to do other things - I would guess an hour. Aside from the screw and bad labeling, the actual assemble was pretty easy for me - I use to be a PC tech, so I am tool inclined (good with tools).

6) Delivery - I buy more from Amazon then anywhere else and I buy a lot and Amazon is my favorite place since price and reviews are great! BUT, I did pay the extra $100.00 to one of the big chains to have it delivered inside the house and am glad I did with the reviews of others saying the delivery folks that contract with Amazon may just leave it in you driveway! How silly! Pay the extra $100.00 have it delivered inside and up or down two flights of steps. HINT: 3 of the chains use the same supplier even though the webpages are different, if you look, you will see that returns for all 3 go to the same place and BOX number!!! They all use the same supplier and I believe the same web developers as most of the text is the same on the webpages. OH - and, also not tax as well, at least in Maryland - so I pay a 100.00 more to get it delivered.

7)Heart monitors(hand and wireless) - Many folks have said that the hand grips don't work for them or it takes a long time. Mine works great and fast (I am a walker - so maybe those that run are the ones having problems with it with the pounding on it from running? Anyways, my works great and as well as the wireless band that fits around you chest. BOTH works great for me.

8)Build materials - Seems really well built. I am 260 guy and it has no problems working for me and doesn't shake when I run (occasionally only) The 20 x 60 deck is great. Deck is easy to fold up and has a weight system inside which helps make it easy and light to fold up and to fold down slowly. I also agree with other that these machine seems to be "commercial" quality. Time will tell.

9)Help line - I had to call to ask where you adjust the belt. They answered pretty quickly and was able to help me for whatever that experience may give you.

SPECIAL NOTES:

For incline to work, you apparently need to do the calibration sequence on page 28 before the incline feature and maybe other things too. No problem - just takes a minute and is easy.

NEVER USE WD-40: To lubricate your belt. According to Nautilus, this is something a lot of people do, and any consequential damage will NOT be covered by your warranty. Some posted a how to in their review.Get more detail about Bowflex Series 7 Treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment